Geek Note:
An intervention is in order.
Please stop using Microsoft Internet Explorer.
I realize that change is difficult, but there are alternatives to your destructive lifestyle. For those of you using any version of MS-Windows, please consider downloading a modern web-browser like Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome (or Chromium). It's free, and there's really no legitimate excuse for using MSIE.

Although I do make some minor attempts to ensure this page will display properly under IE, I also can't help but thinking that anyone using a 1999 web-browser deserves to be served a 1999 web-experience and has no valid platform to complain upon.

And if you're still using Mosaic, then piss off. You might be all kinds of awesome for even remembering Mosaic, but you don't belong on today's internet. Fire up your Magellan search engine and go discover some straits or something.

Sunday, May 1, 20118:28 PM

Local wildlife

Was riding by Crowfield Lake and decided to stop. It's only about a mile or two from home and I pass by it all the time, but for whatever reason I felt like taking some photos.

It's not much of a lake, really. More of a wide spot in Goose Creek, the waterway for which the city is named.

Gator knows it's a beautiful day above water
Crowfield Lake
There were about 8 or 10 of these guys floating on the surface, just sunning themselves. Who knows how many more were below.

People were standing off the shore with fishing poles, in the water up to mid-thigh. A couple of
kayakers
Same lake, same morning
You won't catch me doing this
in a lake full of gators

(or at all, for that matter)
were out there rowing around.

Now I know that gators aren't typically aggressive or hostile, and they prefer to stay away from people if given the chance. And I also know that when someone gets bit, it's usually because they stumbled into a nest or stepped on a gator, or otherwise pissed one off. I realize that gators are entirely different animals from crocodiles, and have a wholly different demeanor.

But I'm still not getting in the water with these guys. Nope. Not me. Water's their house, not mine.

Plus, I also know that the males can sometimes get downright ornery as we get closer to mating season.

"Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment